Thursday 3 July 2008

Getting real: getting to grips with the problem domain

I have spent the last couple of weeks researching the following key areas:
  • HIVE - digital repository
  • Metadata schema for digital repositories
  • XML mark-up language for Metadata
All of these technologies allow documents to be held in a repository along side key data that informs the user of its value.

Contacting external agencies for existing real-world case studies
I contacted and had a reply back from Prof. Balbir Barn (a leading researcher into metadata and business processes) . I asked him about whether he was aware of any schema that would assist in meeting the challenges of this project. Although he could not give me any specific information, he provided links to the following projects:
These links are interesting but somewhat 'over-my-head' at the moment - but I will keep referring back to them as the project progresses. For note, both Chris Gray and Mark Stiles (both Staffs Uni) are referenced in the COVARM project.

Getting to grips with the problem domain

I have requested some 'real' validation documents from Chris Gray. I will be reviewing these documents and assessing the 'value' that is contained within them - which will hopefully offer some guidance on the nature of the metadata that needs to be represented to the user.

Following this, there could be the case for using these findings and asking academics / participants in the validation process to have their input into what metadata is to be recorded.

For note, I have joined the JISC repositories mail list.

No comments: